Wednesday, 27 April 2011 16:51
Start of the spa season
Although the spas are open year round, the spa season usually starts in May. This has been a Czech tradition for many years. It has its origins in the time honoured practice of sanctifying springs and is usually accompanied by lavish celebrations. This year too, visitors can look forward to numerous cultural and entertainment events in the most famous spa centres, such as Karlovy Vary, Mariánské Lázně and Luhačovice.
Sanctification of springs
This practice dates back to the pre-Christian period, when our ancestors cleansed springs and wells in order to remind themselves of the importance of water sources and to to prevent their disappearance. Later these practices were incorporated in celebrations of Christian Pentecostal holidays. Nowadays they are often included in Pentecostal masses followed by festive promenading to the mineral springs.
- In Karlovy Vary, the official start of the spa season will coincide with spring celebrations from Friday the 6th to Sunday the 8th of May and will be accompanied by historical traditions. These include old Bohemian handicraft markets and a series of concerts, and the celebrations will culminate with the traditional historic Charles IV Parade. A celebratory mass will be held at the Cathedral of Mary Magdalene.
- Mariánské lázně will open the season as usual on the second Sunday in May, which this year falls on the 15th of May. The celebrations coinciding with the start of the season will include a concert of the West Bohemian Symphony Orchestra on Friday evening, and during the entire weekend, visitors can also look forward to a series of concerts and cultural events. A celebratory mass will be held at the Church of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary and will be followed by a parade around the Reitenberger memorial to the Cross spring.
- Luhačovice is also planning the start of its celebrations for the second weekend in May, from the 13th to the 15th of May. The celebrations will be focused on the history of Luhačovice and on famous people with ties to the town. There will even be an exhibit of historic vehicles and bicycles, a fair and performances by folklore groups. The celebratory mass will be held at the Holy Family Church followed by a promenade to the springs.
- Teplice will commence its already 857th season during the period from the 27th to the 29th of May, and the weekend will feature concerts and theatrical performances.
- The spa town of Jáchymov is planning to kick off its season with a cultural programme during the last weekend of May.
All of the spas are offering specially priced weekend packages during the celebration period, and you can combine the cultural experience with plenty of rest and relaxation.
Last Updated on Friday, 10 May 2013 12:15